Home Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 Things to Make the PS3 Worth Buying.  (Read 3002 times)
Offline Ezlo's Apprentice

ThornSpell47

« on: March 13, 2007 »

No, it's not me championing for the greater good of the PS3, but an article from Gamespot, presenting (in case you missed the thread title) 10 Things to Make the PS3 Worth Buying.

Here's the list in a nutshell:

Improve Developer Support to Secure More Exclusives
"Sony needs to get more systems into homes to make third-party publishers want to invest the resources in great exclusive games. But you need great exclusive games to sell systems."

Fix Online Fundamentals Before Going Home
Re: PS Home... "It all looks so creepy and marketing-driven that getting in there and messing with people is almost certain to be a good time. But considering that Sony doesn't quite have the basics of online functionality down yet, it's hard to get excited about anything that isn't directly focused on filling those basic needs first."

Standardize Online Features for Multiplayer Games
"Basically, Sony needs to rip off Xbox Live. If Sony can do that, then it will at least make the decision to purchase an Xbox 360 game versus a PlayStation 3 game a little less one-sided."

Reconsider the Price
If you really can't work this one out, you don't belong here...

Fix Web Browsing and Media Management
"Sony billed the PlayStation 3 as a gaming console that can do everything: "Music, Photos, Internet, Videos, and Movies." It's supposed to be the living-room media center. That might become a reality if Sony iterates more on its Internet and media applications."

Make Accomplishments Matter
Taking us back to PS Home... "So the key here is to make Sony's achievements matter; to have them mean something more than a mild virtual ego stroke. The question is: How? Unlockable content is a good start. For example, if you win the world championship in Formula One Championship Edition on the hardest difficulty, you could earn a new wing for your apartment."

Change the Way We Play Games
"Offering a new experience is how Nintendo sold me on the Wii controller and what Microsoft has done with points on the Xbox 360. Give me that one thing--a service, a feature, a gadget, anything--that convinces me the PlayStation 3 gives me a new way of playing games and changes what I expect from consoles in the future. The thing is, Home isn't it."

Experiment With Content Delivery
"The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 both have the potential to become revolutionary content delivery platforms. Let's see which one gets there first."

Provide Solid Hardware and Product Support
"What Sony needs to do to catch my eye, and the eyes of shrewd consumers, is to make the console a solid long-term investment overall in three primary ways.... First, the company should ensure that hardware failures cause its users a minimum of inconvenience.... Second, stronger game support with a much-wider array of titles to choose from would also help.... Finally, Sony needs to provide stronger support of the hardware with value additions that make the PS3 more than just a game console."

Start Releasing Good News
"...try to remember the last time before the "Home" announcement that you read anything good about what Sony was doing with the PlayStation 3. It was a long time ago, wasn't it? It doesn't necessarily need to be big news all of the time, but let people know that things are going well."
And if "good news" should leak out early, don't go shitting all over it...

Anything you would like to add. I think this covers it pretty well. Will Sony be listening though...?

Frozone | Kirlia | Togepi | Gligarman | Croagunk | Rotom

104 days, 9 hours and 34 minutes
Offline Python

Zora

« #1 on: March 14, 2007 »

How about painting the consoles white and renaming them "Wii" or "XBOX 360". Then they would fly off the shelves...

Seriously speaking, I think Gamespot has good points. Also, Sony should stop being so arrogant. It really bugs me and I believe I'm not the only one.

My opinions may change, but not the fact that I'm right.
Offline JordAnime

Jordan's the name, Anime's the Game

« #2 on: March 14, 2007 »

There's some circular logic here, for isntance point one:

Improve Developer Support to Secure More Exclusives
"Sony needs to get more systems into homes to make third-party publishers want to invest the resources in great exclusive games. But you need great exclusive games to sell systems."

Well, unless people start buying it in droves you're not getting any exclusives.  And people aren't going to buy it until there are more exclusives, and honestly, things like standardizing online play and home aren't going to do that.  I mean Wii has neither of those features and its wildly popular amongst both the populous and developers.

The problem isn't with the infrastructure, it's the foundation.  When third party games dual-platform games look better on the Xbox 360 and it costs $200 less, well there's the rub.   The only justification for the higher price point's a bigger HDD(whoopie), 1080p and BluRay.  Well the last two are so minimal for the majority of gamers, the only leverage Sony would have are exclusive, and by all rights, those seem to be slipping through their fingers. 

So I think there's 1 thing that'd make PS3 worth buying, that would be if Sony went back in time, and made the PS3 the Wii. 

Offline Jeff25

Kokiri

« #3 on: March 14, 2007 »

"So I think there's 1 thing that'd make PS3 worth buying, that would be if Sony went back in time, and made the PS3 the Wii. "

I can see E3 2007 now.  Sony reveals their amazing new controller.

Ken Kutagari:  It has special guts inside...Fully motion sensitive!  One handed! (additional addons will be sold).  This new controller will allow incredible new innovations and is part of Sony's goal to expand the Market and bring in new gamers!  (footage is being shown  of several new PS3 games!  Sony Sports: Play B3yond...Cooking Papa!) 

Nothing would surprise me. 
Offline Witless

Dutchie

« #4 on: March 14, 2007 »

The price is the major obstacle that is keeping gamers from buying a PS3.  Really, no one is going to give $600 for something to play games on, even if it has Final Fantasy.

Expect a price cut in 2010.
Offline Hyruleansoldier

Twilight Dreamlander

The Paradox of Kirby: Suckage = Ownage ^_^

« #5 on: March 18, 2007 »

How about painting the consoles white and renaming them "Wii" or "XBOX 360". Then they would fly off the shelves...

Lol, there you go #11 ^^

Quote from: Python
Seriously speaking, I think Gamespot has good points. Also, Sony should stop being so arrogant. It really bugs me and I believe I'm not the only one.

Bloody true. Just check that add implying there is going to be a huge queue for the PS3. "I think not."

The price is the major obstacle that is keeping gamers from buying a PS3.  Really, no one is going to give $600 for something to play games on, even if it has Final Fantasy.

Expect a price cut in 2010.

But that's it though isn't it? With the PS's immense amount of games, there's bound to be some games that will make gamers take the step of buying the new console. But with the price issue, Sony's overconfidence in that respect might prove very hazardous for their health...

May they go down altogether.

Offline Ezlo's Apprentice

ThornSpell47

« #6 on: March 18, 2007 »

Sony have dug themselves into a nice deep hole with their choice of tech this generation and pricing. They can either lose money by having consoles sit on the shelves unloved, which will cost them exclusives, developers and reputation. Or they can lose money by dropping the price and virtually giving away a Blu-Ray player.

Although they're pretty much doing that atm anyway...

It would come as no surprise to anyone I'm sure if I echoed HS's cries of "May they go down altogether", but their overconfidence/sheer arrogance is more than apparent and they deserve to fail.

Frozone | Kirlia | Togepi | Gligarman | Croagunk | Rotom

104 days, 9 hours and 34 minutes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: