Home Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 11810 times)
Offline Witless

Dutchie

« #60 on: November 19, 2009 »

Though, I'm bummed you can't bring Yoshi with you after a level.
Yes, I don't like that. I'm not sure why they won't.

I think the devs are trying to avoid giving you power-ups that let you skip entire portions of a level by flying over it, which is why we aren't getting the Cape or Raccoon Suit.

I haven't gotten to play multiplayer yet. It sounds like a great deal of fun.

They can easily fix that by putting obstacles on the stage so you can't build momentum.
Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #61 on: November 19, 2009 »

Hmm. Yes I suppose they could. Although that would take away most of the reason for the suits in the first place. I do miss using the Cape with Yoshi--that gave you a level of control I miss in this game.
Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #62 on: November 23, 2009 »

World 5 just blew my mind. Amazing level design, amazing enemies, amazing boss. I mean, holy shit.

The castle (and the boss) had me swearing quite a bit. It was also easily the most unique boss of the game so far. It didn't even need to be a Koopaling. But it was, and that made it even more difficult and satisfying. This game just keeps on getting better.
Offline Witless

Dutchie

« #63 on: November 23, 2009 »

Also, what's up with the same theme songs?
Offline JordAnime

Jordan's the name, Anime's the Game

« #64 on: November 23, 2009 »

Just got it today, it's very nostalgic, though I feel it might be an experience best shared, that said I'm still having a good time, I'm in the midst of world 2.

I'd say "they still got it" with regards to their ability to make a great platforming game.  I wasn't all that impressed with NSMB on the DS but this game is the genuine article.  Though I still the that the production value is a little on the low-end.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 by JordAnime » Logged

Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #65 on: November 26, 2009 »

Iwata Asks interview with Miyamoto regarding NSMB. There's some pretty interesting things about NSMB in there, but the best part is about:

Miyamoto
Right. There was one problem, however. When you play, you encounter a Goomba right at the start and it's shaped like a mushroom.
Iwata
It does look very similar.
Miyamoto
So when you hit a box and something that looks like a Goomba pops out…
Iwata
You run away.
Miyamoto
Right, you run away. This gave us a real headache. We needed somehow to make sure the player understood that this was something really good. That's why we made the mushroom approach you.
Iwata
Yes, that's right. If you play the game for the first time with no prior knowledge, you're going to run into the first Goomba and lose a turn.
Miyamoto
Right, which is why you have to teach the player in a natural way that they need to avoid them by jumping over them.
Iwata
Then when the player tries to jump and avoid them, there are going to be times when they get it wrong and end up stamping on the Goomba. By doing that, they learn in a natural way that by stamping on them, you can defeat them.
Miyamoto
As long as you stamp on them, you have nothing to fear from Goombas.
Iwata
But if you avoid the first Goomba and then jump and hit a block above you, a mushroom will spring out and you'll get a shock. But then you'll see that it's going to the right so you'll think: "I'm safe! Something strange appeared but I'm okay!" But of course when it goes against a pipe up ahead, the mushroom will come back! (laughs)
Miyamoto
Right! (laughs)
Iwata
At that point, even if you panic and try to jump out of the way, you'll hit the block above you. Then just at the instant where you accept that you're done for, Mario will suddenly shake and grow bigger! You might not really know what's just happened, but at the very least, you'll realize that you haven't lost the turn.
Miyamoto
But you'll wonder why Mario suddenly got larger.
Iwata
You'll try jumping and see that you can jump to higher places and smash through the ceiling, so it'll be clear that you've become more powerful.
Miyamoto
It's at that moment that you first realize that the mushroom is a good item.
Iwata
That's the reason why it's designed so that whatever you do, you'll get the mushroom.
WHAT.
Offline JordAnime

« #66 on: November 26, 2009 »

I think this game may well top out Smash Bros. with respect to multiplayer, it's probably one of the best multiplayer experiences out there.  Getting together with four friends and playing this game is extremely fun, and it also makes it a lot more difficult in a fun way.  My hat's off to Nintendo for this one, I wasn't expecting much but it's probably the best game I've played all year.

One thing I don't understand is why you can't use a Gamecube controller, everyone knows that motion controls just substitute for the press of a button.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009 by JordAnime » Logged

Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #67 on: November 27, 2009 »

I think this game may well top out Smash Bros. with respect to multiplayer, it's probably one of the best multiplayer experiences out there.  Getting together with four friends and playing this game is extremely fun, and it also makes it a lot more difficult in a fun way.  My hat's off to Nintendo for this one, I wasn't expecting much but it's probably the best game I've played all year.
This. All of this. Best multiplayer game on the Wii.

And I didn't have a single complaint about Blue and Yellow Toads, at that!

ETA: I just played through World 6. I'm not sure if it's as great as I found World 5 to be, but there was definitely some amazing design in there. The airship and its boss were particularly great, adding some nice surprises.

I don't really mind that they delayed Galaxy 2 for this. It's completely worth it and we're getting so much more platforming goodness than we've gotten in a very, very long time.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009 by hisak » Logged
Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #68 on: November 28, 2009 »

World 7 has me raging at the TV screen multiple times. It gave me my second game over screen, and multiple Super Guide blocks (I didn't use any of them, of course). It does, however, provide several perfect answers (and a few imperfect ones) to the question, "Why can't we use GameCube controllers?" Several of the levels use tilt sensors, and quite a few of them are infuriating.

World 7-2 has one of the weirdest concepts for a level I've seen in a very long time and it works perfectly.

Oh, and the character design for Fuzzies is my favorite design in the entire game. They look completely out of place, but in a very, very good way. (I think they might actually be cel-shaded.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009 by hisak » Logged
Offline JordAnime

« #69 on: November 29, 2009 »

The design for the fuzzies is hilarious, especially the big ones.  Those things have always seemed somewhat out of place in Mario and they really took it the next level.  World 7 is pretty awesome too.  My friends and I have just discovered bubbling to save ourselves a lot of grief, it evens things out quite a bit.  I also agree about Mario Galaxy 2, I mean, I'm really looking forward to the game a lot but this title is absolutely the thing the Wii needed.  I could see the title going on to be the best selling Wii game, perhaps barring the "Wii [insert event here]
" line. 

Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #70 on: November 29, 2009 »

With Wii Fit Plus out now, I could even see it outselling the individual versions of Wii Fit. Sure, it'll never outsell Wii Play, but it has the potential to be the third best selling game on the console.

World 7-Fortress made me want to kill someone. Getting hit by a Bob-omb mid-jump does not make me pleasant (it is a really good level, though).

ETA: HA. They brought back the "Back Door" (from SMW's World 7) for World 7-Castle. It made me smile.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009 by hisak » Logged
Offline alexkenny

Sage of Shadow

Lets just hope Link has martyrdom mode on...

« #71 on: November 30, 2009 »

Also, what's up with the same theme songs?
Hey its been around for about 25 years. I don't think it will change anymore than it has already.
Offline Big Tater

Zora

« #72 on: December 01, 2009 »

I finally got to play it at Rew's house and it was awesome.  I'm still asking for it for Christmas.  I love the updated items (the penguin suit, the flying suit) and of course the updated graphics.  Some of the backgrounds are so realistic.  I'm still playing super mario bros. 3 but I like how they implemented things from the other games too.
Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #73 on: December 28, 2009 »

I never mentioned that this game probably has the best final boss battle in any Mario platformer (2D or 3D) ever. It makes so much more sense than just stopping at the end of a level and throwing objects at a character while avoiding its attacks. More Mario boss fights need to be like that.
Offline River Devil

Eater of those who are weak....and Oreos.

« #74 on: December 28, 2009 »

I never mentioned that this game probably has the best final boss battle in any Mario platformer (2D or 3D) ever. It makes so much more sense than just stopping at the end of a level and throwing objects at a character while avoiding its attacks. More Mario boss fights need to be like that.

Agreed.  Final boss battle was awesome!   

Offline Big Tater

Zora

« #75 on: December 31, 2009 »

I got this for Christmas and have had so much fun with it!  I like how it integrates things from past games, but still has new stuff as well.  It makes it good for the veteran Mario player but still enjoyable for the new player as well
Offline Ezlo's Apprentice

ThornSpell47

« #76 on: December 31, 2009 »

So far, so not blown away. How bad is that? Maybe I need to pay out for another Remote to get Amy involved, but as a single player experience it's so far felt a bit empty. I'm halfway through World 3 and still not felt any real excitement.

But it's a new Mario game! What's wrong with me?

Frozone | Kirlia | Togepi | Gligarman | Croagunk | Rotom

104 days, 9 hours and 34 minutes
Offline hisak

Sage of Shadow

« #77 on: December 31, 2009 »

What's wrong with me?
Keep playing. But if World 3-Fortress doesn't impress you, then we may need to have a talk.
Offline JordAnime

« #78 on: December 31, 2009 »

I thought the game started getting good around World 3, it also helps to play it with more than one person, if you can get the right group dynamic going.  It's probably the most fun I've had playing a video game in ages.  The game gets really great around World 6.

Offline Rew

The Hylian Grammarian

Subjecting innocents to Vogon poetry since 1980.

« #79 on: December 31, 2009 »

It's not a battle, though. [spoiler]It's more like an elaborate escape sequence masquerading as a final battle.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010 by Rew » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Jump to: